Aug 8, 2009

Cardigan for Tadpole

This project is a quick little knit that wasn't really that quick, as it involved some finishing. The pattern for this little cardigan is from "Simple Knits for Cherished Babies" by Erika Knight. I was seduced by the wonderful photography throughout the book, but I guess I should have researched the case a bit more before buying. The book is filled with errors, so beginners definately can't knit most of the projects. Advanced knitters can probably reconstruct most of it from the photos. The pattern for this little cardigan did not have any errors, possibly the only error-free pattern in the entire book! Earlier, I tried making a little garter stitch wrap top, but had to give up because the pattern was so unclear. Well, also ran out of yarn, and didn't want to buy more for such a dubious project.

But this little cardigan turned out very nice - from the front:
Aug2009 032

and from the back:
Aug2009 033

It's made of Rowan wool cotton, knitted on 3 mm needles though the pattern recommends 3 3/4 mm. But I think garter stitch needs to be tight to look good. I made a couple of modifications:
- added 5 stitches to the sleeve length
- knitted on edge around neck-fronts-back in the round with alternating purled/knitted rows

1 comment:

Claire said...

I have knitted this sweater three times and am about to do a 4th. They are all for my grandchildren. It's now a tradition that I knit this tiny sweater for my grandchildren. Thank you for posting that you did a band at the bottom and added length to the sleeves. That is genius. I will do that on this new baby's sweater. Her name will be Violet and I think I will do it in that color.