Oct 3, 2008

Shetland Lace Shawl New vs. Old Method

There has been some progress with my lace shawl. Also some unraveling, but in the end more knitted than removed. The pattern describes how to knit the edge panels one by one, so here is the first one:and in close-up:
nice, I think. But then the trouble started. The next panel needs to be knitted together with the first one at the edge, which will form a corner. This did not look good. Tried to convince myself it was OK for a while and continued... but in the end had to face the facts. So unraveled, and I am now knitting the entire border in the round, with alternating purl rows. I thought this would be ugly because of different tension in knit and purl rows, but that's not the case at all. The corners now look very nice, and all four look the same (I thought the corner where I change between knit and purl would not look the same as the others, but with yo's on every row, they look exactly the same). So the only problem is it doesn't look like much bundled together on the needle:but think it will turn out very nice in the end. Of course, knitting the border in the round seems to be the traditional way, and is in every respect much better than knitting back and forth.

No comments: