Nov 23, 2008

Noro Love

This project has been hibernating for a while. I initially bought the Noro Silk Garden for edges on a planned black jacket, but after a good amount of swatching, I was never happy with it. So then I stumbled on Brooklyntweed's post about a Silk Garden scarf, and the decision was made.
It makes for wonderful knitting, so suspenseful! Which color combination will be next???
I finished it and cast off, and then the big sleep came. The cast off edge looked like this:Yuck! Not only does the color change to pink in an unfortunate way, the cast off edge is also too bulky. Fast-forward some months, I finally unraveled this edge, and tried a sewn cast-off from the Fall '08 Interweave magazine. This did not work out at all! Mostly because of the knitter, I think, not so much the method itself... Then, removed some of the pink, and cast off in the standard way a bit tighther, and it looks much better. The two ends now look similar:So I'm happy now. Some other details: 37 stitches wide, 4 skeins Silk Garden total (2 each of colorways 270 and 84), 4.5 mm needles. Used shadow knitting edge according to Vivian Høxbro's book, it results in a smooth edge where the color changes are hidden:

No comments: